Media and technology are at the very center of all our lives today — especially our children’s. The media content they consume and create has a profound impact on their social, emotional, cognitive, and physical development. Now more than ever, they need a trusted guide to help them navigate a world where change is the only constant. -Common Sense Media
Winnacunnet High School has two levels of Internet traffic filtering. First, we have an in-house appliance that filters Internet traffic, prevents intrusion and detects possible threats to our network. Second, we use a cloud-based service on our student Chromebooks to block traffic to and from websites deemed harmful or inappropriate for school. Our Internet filters apply to school-issued Chromebooks and student GSuite accounts both on and off school premises.
The Children’s Internet Protection Act is a federal law that imposes restrictions on any school or library receiving funding for Internet access.
Board Policy JICL acknowledges the Children’s Internet Protection Act and confirms the Board’s commitment to protecting access to inappropriate content.
Category filtering is not an exact science. There may be websites with educational value that are blocked categorically. To provide access to those web sites, WHS Staff can submit requests to the IT Director to whitelist specific URLs.
WHS requires Google SafeSearch on all student accounts. SafeSearch filters the results that are returned from a Google search. SafeSearch isn’t 100% accurate, but it helps avoid search results containing explicit content.
In addition to these measures, we cover online safety and digital citizenship with all students as part of their Freshman Seminar experience.
Policies, Laws and Guidelines
Winnacunnet High School Technology Use Policies, Guidelines and Parent Permissions
- AD Winnacunnet High School Mission Statement
- ADA School District Goals and Objectives
- JICL School District Internet Access for Students
- JICL-R Acceptable Internet Use Procedures – Students
- GBEF School District Internet Access for Staff
- GBEF-R Acceptable Internet Use Procedures for Staff
- EGAD Copyright Compliance
- EHB Data Records Retention
- EHB-R Data Retention Schedule
- EHAA Computer Security, Email and Internet Communications
Applicable Federal and State Laws that Impact Technology Use and Student Privacy
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA)
- Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA)
- Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act (IDEA)